Monday 26 July 2010

The Nitty Gritty

We've had a good weekend, made a start on the concrete pad for the pool, spent an evening in great company with good food and a few drinks and then had a day off on Sunday to relax and recover from a slight hangover. Back to work it was today though and whilst hubby has been cooped up in the workshop for most of the day getting on with some woodworking projects, I've been indoors all day due to the weather and decided it was time to get on with some much needed housework.


So I've cleaned and scrubbed, washed and mopped, dusted and moved furniture etc and still the rain keeps on coming. The poor horses and donkey have been inside all day as they'd be miserable out in this weather. Parts of Bulgaria are on flood alert today and the field outside is once again like a river, but at least the spring will keep running all summer so we get free water for the animals. It would be great if we could fill the pool from the spring but unfortunately our garden is on higher ground so we can't run a hose pipe from it.


Our beehive is doing really well and the bees are producing loads of yummy honey, soon we'll have to harvest it and store it for using over the winter and spring. I'm hoping that it will help with my hay fever next year and also come in handy for any cuts, grazes or scratches we get. Honey has lots of medicinal uses plus being very tasty too. I'll have to find somewhere to buy extra jars from as most of mine already have jam in and I'm sure to be making more before the winter arrives.



There are a lot of things we need to do before winter gets here and as the days are longer now my internet time is a bit shorter as I struggle to catch up and keep going with things that need doing. Hubby is working most days which is great, and while the kids are still away I have the house to myself during the day. Next week I'll be even busier as it's almost time for Charlotte to give birth to the next litter of piglets which is exciting. This Saturday we're going to have a hog roast and I'm really looking forward to it. Our 2 male piglets are nearing the end of the time they can stay in with their sisters and another sow we have here so one of them will be on the menu this weekend. Whilst it is sad that one has to go at least they've had a nice life, been well fed and cared for, plus had plenty of attention, belly rubs and playtime. I'll let you know how it goes although I'm sure we'll have a great time and be very thankful to the pig for his contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment