Monday, 19 July 2010

Possible Solutions

Yesterday afternoon because it rained so hard and we had hailstones bouncing around in high winds it was decided that work was over for the day, it was Sunday after all and all work, no rest makes for a very dull life. After a cup of coffee and a chat with a few people on the internet it was nice to be invited out for tea and to collect a rather large easy set pool which hubby had been looking for (and in the shops was beyond our budget). Ex-pats in a village near us had one for sale and said they'd sort everything out so we could go over and pick it up. So off we went and had a lovely time, chatting, eating great food, swapping tales of village life etc and collecting loads of new plants for the garden which were very kindly given to us.

It was rather late when we got home and dark but we managed to get the horses in and settled and everything tucked away for the night. So we now have a pool to cool off in, but first we'll have to make a flat area in a sunny part of the garden for it to sit on. The kids will love it when they get home and while they're away we'll enjoy it too! Photos will follow when we get the thing set up and filled.

This morning I planted all of the lovely flowers and herbs I was given and generally pottered about as usual. My pepper plants are finally starting to fruit and despite the harsh winds we had yesterday afternoon everything seems fine. Except my washing which blew off the line and had to be retrieved from the field lol.

We're getting even closer to Charlotte's next litter of piglets being born and I'm just as excited as the first time, in fact, probably more so as it won't be minus 27 degrees C outside! We've yet to get round to sorting out her house for the babies but it's on our list of "Must do" jobs as urgent. We have to remove the raised sleeping area that hubby built as the piglets managed to take it apart almost so it's probably safer for the new litter if we just take it away and give them some straw to sleep on. The pig house needs a thorough clean out, disinfected and left to dry before Charlotte can go in and make herself comfortable.

Tomorrow I'm off to the vets in town with Sasha our Springer Spaniel as she appears to have something in her back right paw, it's very red, weeping and she's been constantly licking it for 2 days without any sign of improvement. She's not poorly at all, eating well (as normal) and isn't limping but there's something definitely wrong so best go get it checked out. We think there may be a grass seed head wedged in under the skin which would need removed under sedation/anesthetic.

Trying to keep the dogs out of the long grass is a daily chore here, both of the spaniels love water too and are quite fond of jumping into the spring outside the house when they want to cool down or get a drink. Here's hoping her foot can be sorted quickly, painlessly and without much fuss. Vets here on the main are quite good, there is a vet in the village but I'm not too impressed with his services and practices so it's off to the big town we go where the vets there have a proper surgery, speak english and will take the time to find out what the problem is instead of just doling out medicines. So once again my painting/gardening plans have been altered but for a good cause, I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment