Saturday 19 June 2010

Feeling Neglected?

I must once again apologise for not blogging much over the last week or so. The growing season is in full swing here and my garden is starting to produce more but is in desperate need of some attention. This week has been spent haymaking, painting for a friend, making jam and pease pudding, trying some new liqueur recipes and the usual daily jobs of feeding/watering animals, a small amount of housework and watering the garden etc. We still have some hay to collect from the field and hope to get it done this weekend.

I'm off out soon to collect green walnuts, mulberries and anything else edible that I can find, plus I really need to take some new photographs of my surroundings and things that interest me. The garden can change overnight as blossoms die off, others bloom and everything continues to grow. I'm not sure what is going on with my blogger settings right now as I can't seem to upload any photo's, hopefully this will fix itself and I'll add some snapshots later on.

The kids seem to be having a good time on their holidays but I'm still missing them like mad, although the peace and quiet is quite nice and I definitely seem to be getting more work done than normal despite having extra jobs and animals to care for.

My sister in law's dogs are staying with us right now so that means we have 7 dogs here for a few weeks. I've got to say that the dogs are behaving far better than I thought and apart from howling a few times they've been no bother at all. They spend most of the day in the shade sleeping and seem to quite like their temporary kennels that were made out of the sides we cut off the camper van. I've more plans for the leftover camper van parts but will post about that another day.

The lettuce and radishes have now all finished and needed pulled before they bolted, I've left a couple of the lovely Lollo Rossa lettuce to go to seed in the hope that they'll provide me with another crop next spring. The garlic is about ready to be harvested and my experimental winter sowing showed that they did better, grew bigger and formed proper bulbs instead of large cloves as they did in the previous 2 years. I'll be planting another larger crop around October time.

No comments:

Post a Comment