Wednesday 30 December 2009

Totally Muddled

The weather here is totally muddled up again - today hit a high of around 13 degrees C, the sun was shining, all the animals were happily grazing or pecking around outside and it was like spring had come early! According to our friends we are expecting temperatures of up to 20 degrees C in the next week and then 4 weeks of bad weather between mid February and mid March.

On checking the 10 day forecast for the closest city it's showing +14 on new years day and then a fall in temperatures dropping to -2 on Monday, but nothing worse than that so far. I do tend to check the forecast quite regularly and find they're usually right within a couple of degrees. The summer we reached well over 40 degrees C and it was unbearable to work in. Our house doesn't have air conditioning and we have no plans to put any in as we're getting quite good at coping with the temperature changes now. Plus the fact that air con does cost a fair amount to run, we're happy to live without it.

I've been looking today for a downloadable FREE garden planner but not yet found really what I'm looking for. I want something based on vegetable growers and not where to put your fountain and reading bench! If I find one I shall post details as I'm sure there are others out there like me who forget where everything is planted or draw a plan only to lose it in a week!

It's almost time to start planting seeds in trays to get ready for the garden. So far I've sorted out a few things to start off with, they are :- Broad Beans, Peas, Chilli Peppers, Lemon Balm, Sage, White Cabbage, Leeks, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Swede, Melons and Lettuce. All of the packs came from the UK so the planting times are a little out on the packets but I'll give them a try. I still have Red Cabbage, Garlic, Black Radish and some Lettuce in the ground overwintering and they seem to be doing well.

What are you growing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment